On Sunday, March 12th, the Dolby Theatre in the heart of Hollywood will host the 95th Academy Awards ceremony. It’s fitting that the biggest night for the film industry will take place on one of the largest stages in the country.
This year’s ceremony honors films released in 2022 for their artistic and technical merit. Most agree an Academy Award is one of the most prestigious and significant awards in the entertainment industry.
After landing the gig in 2017 and again in 2018, Jimmy Kimmel returns for his third time playing host to the event. Kimmel will emcee the evening and lead audiences through the gamut of the twenty-three award categories.
Categories include awards for such achievements as best cinematography, best costume design, best director, best film editing, best original score, and an array of other accolades for film production components. The ones that keep us tuned in, though, are those that feature our favorite celebs and our most-loved movies.
Best actor, best actress, best supporting actor and actress, and best picture tend to be the big five of the night. We’ll stay up to watch which one of our picks walks away with what might be the most recognized statue in the world.
And the nominees are…
Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Austin Butler, Elvis
- Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
- Brendan Fraser, The Whale
- Paul Mescal, Aftersun
- Bill Nighy, Living
Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Cate Blanchett, Tár
- Ana de Armas, Blonde
- Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
- Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
- Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
- Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
- Judd Hirsch, The Banshees of Inisherin
- Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
- Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- Hong Chou, The Whale
- Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
- Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- Avatar: The Way of Water
- The Banshees of Inisherin
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
- The Fabelmans
- Top Gun: Maverick
- Triangle of Sadness
- Women Talking
Fun Facts for This Year’s Big Five
- Only four performers (all female) up for an acting award have been nominated previously
- Five nominees are Irish actors, an Oscar record
- The lineup includes the most Asian and Asian-American nominees on record
- For the fifth straight year, supporting categories contain multiple nominees from the same movie
- Judd Hirsch is the second oldest actor ever to be nominated, and his last came 42 years prior
- Angela Bassett became the first acting nominee for a Marvel Studios film
More to Note About the Night
Musical performances by Lady Gaga and Rhianna will highlight their nominations for best original song, “Hold My Hand” and “Lift Me Up,” respectively. Also, expect each of the twenty-three categories to be awarded during the broadcast, unlike in years past when some categories were awarded off-air.
As always, it promises to be an elegant affair featuring the best talent, fashion, and glamor that Hollywood has to offer.